During winter, your baby needs extra care and attention to prevent seasonal illness as the winter is known to make their skin dry that can lead to diaper rash, rough cheeks, flaky skin and scalp. Hence, our baby's skin needs special winter skincare. Befor that one must be aware of the winter skin problems in infants.
Here are some common skin problems in babies during winter:
Diaper rash: Wearing a diaper of the wrong size and friction generally causes diaper rashes.
Rough, red cheeks: Chapped skin is basically dry skin that becomes inflamed due to irritation caused by friction from clothing and a runny nose.
Eczema: Babies with eczema have insufficient skin surface for holding moisture. Like regular dry skin, dermatitis tends to erupt during winter
Flaky scalp: The scalp gets scaly and dry. It is also known as cradle cap.
Protect against yeast infection: They usually appear as bright-red rash with a sharp border of red bumps or blisters.
Protect against sunlight: is important to apply a lotion with SPF as baby's skin is very sensitive.
Prevent frostbite: If you are visiting a cold place, then make sure your baby is properly covered. Mild frostbite can make red and tender. Hats, mufflers and hoods can prevent it but if the problem persists a warm bath can help followed by proper moisturisation.
Protect against chapped lips: Baby's skin needs care and when it comes to their lips it is often neglected. The little ones keep licking their lips but this can break down the protective top layer of skin. One can include lip balm in the baby skincare routine.
Ranjan Pejawar, Bangalore-based pediatrician shares some tips to protect your baby's skin from harsh winter:
1. Give an oil massage to your baby before a bath to nourish its skin
2. Give your baby a massage 2-3 times daily with an oil infused with winter cherry to improve skin tone and soothe baby skin.
3. During winter, avoid giving baby a head bath every day and use only lukewarm water for the daily bath. Hot water may hurt the protective layer of your baby's skin.
4. Choose a moisturiser that contains the goodness of olive oil and almond oil which improves the skin's softness.
5. Use a diaper rash cream infused with almond oil and Yashada Bhasma to protect your baby's bottom from the irritating rashes.
6. Choose a mild and gentle shampoo/soap which is enriched with herbs and is from parabens and alcohol.
7. Use a baby bath with ingredients like chickpea, fenugreek and green gram to retain the natural oils in baby's skin.
- Inputs from IANS