Who do you think will win a marathon race, Priyanka Chopra or Farhan Akhtar? Both have played the characters of sports personalities on the silver screen, both are fit and strong.
If I say that women are stronger than men when it comes to using their muscles for a long time, would you believe me? Yes, a recent study has proved the above fact.
Men may possess more physical strength than women, but the ladies are far superior when it comes to muscle endurance and stamina, a new study has found.
"We've known for some time that women are less fatigable than men during isometric muscle tests -- static exercises where joints don't move -- such as holding a weight. But we wanted to find out if that's true during more dynamic and practical everyday movements", said Professor Brian Dalton, the author of the study.
The highlights of the study are:
- This study was conducted in the University of British Columbia
- In the study, nine women and eight men were asked to flex their foot against a series of sensors as quickly as they could for almost 200 times
- The researchers took note of speed, power and torque, rotational force of their movements and electrical activity of their muscles
- Initially men were faster and more powerful than women but then they got exhausted quickly
- They chose to record foot movements because it makes use of calf muscles on the back of the leg, which are essential for practical, everyday tasks like standing and walking
"We know from previous research that for events like ultra-trail running, males may complete them faster but females are considerably less tired by the end," explained Professor Brian Dalton.
It is clear that women are stronger than men when it comes to using their muscles for a long time. Priyanka Chopra or Farhan Akhtar was just a random comparison, talk about Usain Bolt, the fastest man on Earth will also get exhausted before a woman.
"If ever an ultra-ultra-marathon is developed, women may well dominate in that arena" he added.
The study was carried out in collaboration with the University of Guelph and University of Oregon and was published in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism .
Priyanka Chopra or Farhan Akhtar or Sushan Singh Rajput, compare anybody, women will be ahead when it comes to muscle endurance and stamina.