The exam season is back and with it comes a lot of stress for both parents and students. Especially, exams can be very stressful for students. In general, academic pressure, constant expectations and scoring high can get the better of students.
A new study suggests that therapy dog sessions may help in boosting student wellness. According to the researchers, therapy dog sessions are becoming more popular on university campuses in the west.
"Our findings suggest that therapy dog sessions have a measurable, positive effect on the well being of university students, particularly on stress reduction and feelings of negativity," said lead author Emma Ward-Griffin, Research Assistant at the University of British Columbia in Canada.
Board Exams are going on. Here are more details on the study on Dog Therapy and how it can reduce stress in students:
1. The study was published in the journal Stress and Health.
2. Previous research suggested that female students benefit from therapy dog sessions more than male students, the researchers found the benefits were equally distributed across both genders in this study.
3. The researchers surveyed 246 students before and after they spent time in a drop-in therapy dog session.
4. It was upto the students to pet, cuddle and chat with seven to 12 canine companions during the sessions.
5. The student participants also filled out questionnaires immediately before and after the session, and again about 10 hours later.
6. The study found that participants reported significant reduction in stress as well as increased happiness and energy immediately following the session, compared to a control group of students who did not spend time at a therapy dog session.
Also, letting these therapy dogs around while students are working on their out-of-class assignments could be even more helpful, researchers said.
Pets have always been acting as stress busters for people of any age. Students must try to keep themselves calm and avoid academic related stress, especially during Board Exams.
Here is a breathing exercise that can help in reducing stress:
This Pranayama is very effective in calming your mind down instantly. This practice releases anger, frustration and anxiety. This technique derived its name from Indian Black Bee. It will great for students to practice it during their Board Exams.
1. Sit straight and close your eyes. Keep a gentle smile on your face
2. Place your thumb on the ears, index fingers above your eyebrows and remaining along the sides of the nose
3. Take a deep breath in and as you breathe out. Press your nose with your pinky finger while making a loud sound like a bee.
4. Breathe in again and continue the same process for 6 to 7 times
1. Relieves tension and anxiety instantly.
2. Provides relief if you are feeling hot.
3. Effective for the people suffering from hypertension.
4. Improves concentration and memory.
5. Cures throat diseases.
6. Builds confidence.
If you are a student and stressed out, try this new therapy with dogs. You can try Bhramari Pranayama which will help you to be calm, reduce stress and prevent hypertension. During Board Exams one must try these various techniques to remain calm and do well.
(With IANS Inputs)