After chai, of tea, the next thing we Indians are most addicted to is a cup of coffee.
As we all know, coffee provides us with a wide range of health benefits. However, only if taken right amounts. A daily dose of coffee helps keep a person diseases like type- 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, breast cancer and colon cancer at bay.
Many people think coffee affects health in a bad way, but it's all about the right way in which coffee should be consumed.
Coffee contains a good number of antioxidants and you, by making some changes to your daily cup of coffee, can give a healthy twist to it.
Here are the 5 tips you need to follow to make your cup of coffee healthier:
Before taking a cup of coffee, have a glass of water
- People who start their day with a cup of coffee complain about having less water in their body.
- Before taking a cup of coffee, try to have a glass of water in the morning, as it gives you health benefits.
- Coffee is diuretic (triggers fluid loss) in nature.
- So, in order to stay well-hydrated, make sure that you have enough water
throughout the day.
Do not add artificial sweeteners
Any artificial sweetener is calorie-free, but as per researchers, it has been found that artificial sweeteners increase cravings and are linked with diseases like obesity, type 2 diabetes and stroke.
So, for health benefits, say no to the added sugar or use a lesser amount of it.
Measure the usage of sugar
- The American Heart Association recommend that a person should take six teaspoons of sugar on a daily basis.
- So, rather than pouring it directly from the container, you can use spoons to measure.
- In order to stick to the guidelines issued by the association, do not use more than half teaspoon your coffee.
Use plant-based milk
- Plant-based dairy products give you health benefits and contain more nutrients.
- The plant-based milk is anti-inflammatory and has omega-3 fatty acids.
- You can also opt for almond, cashew and, coconut milk -- as these are low in calories and provide you with healthy monosaturated fats.
Add spices in your cup of coffee
Adding spices like cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in your cup of coffee not only give your coffee flavour and aroma, but also increase the antioxidants in it.
Cinnamon has some added health benefits like regulating blood, sugar and insulin.
These spices are also called sweet spices, so you don’t need to add much sugar to your coffee if you are adding the spices.