Winter days are not friendly to our skin or hair, and as it sets in, most of us find that the old problem of dandruff is back.
Although dandruff problems can worsen in the winter, those frustrating white snow-like flakes on your shoulder is not actually caused by cold or dry air. Then what is it?
Dandruff is mainly caused by the overabundance of Malassezia fungus -- it is the primary culprit. The scalp gets dry and flaky in winter which makes it the perfect bed for dandruff to set in.
However, the problem of dandruff can be prevented with the right measures. All you need to do is take more care of your hair during winter and follow any anti-dandruff regime to ensure that dandruff does not find a home on your head.
A few home remedies for dandruff that you can try are as follows:
1. Aloe Vera and lemon
Aloe Vera and lemon is another effective home remedy that can give you moisturised scalp and avoid dandruff in winter.
Aloe Vera contains natural moisturizing properties which can effectively prevent scalp dryness and lemon juice is a powerful agent with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Take 2 spoons of fresh pulp from few Aloe Vera leaves
- After that, add 1 spoon of lemon juice to it
- Mix both the ingredients well and form a paste
- Now gently massage the mixture onto your scalp
- Leave on for 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water
- Get a dandruff-free scalp
2. Baking soda
Baking soda has been used as a cleanser since long before our modern beauty products. It works great as a clarifying shampoo for your scalp. Baking soda can clear off any build-up on the scalp that can block the pores and invite dandruff during winter.
- First, take two spoons of baking soda in your hands
- Rub them gently onto your scalp
- Leave on for 3 minutes and wash off thoroughly with mildly warm water
- Use of shampoo or soap on the hair is not recommended on the day you use baking soda
3. Ginger juice
Ginger can work wonders as it has natural anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. Ginger not only cures dandruff in winter but also many other scalp conditions.
- Prepare fresh ginger juice by grating ginger
- Now apply the juice thoroughly onto your scalp with a cotton ball
- Leave on for 30 minutes
- And at the end, wash off with a mild shampoo
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar, when mixed with fenugreek seeds, can be effective for increasing blood circulation and works as a good remedy to prevent dandruff during winter.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in fresh water overnight
- Grind them in the morning and mix them with 1 spoon of ACV
- Apply this paste onto your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash off with a mild hair cleanser
- Repeat this treatment twice a week for dandruff free scalp
5. Honey and lemon
Honey is a natural moisturiser; it has natural antibacterial and moisturizing properties and keeps the scalp hydrated and prevent dandruff.
- Take 3 tbsp honey
- And add a few drops of lemon juice
- Apply this on your scalp and let it sit for 15 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and mild shampoo
Lemon juice also helps in balancing the pH of your scalp.