How can you get flawless, glowing skin? This is a pertinent question that most of us ask our skin specialists and dermatologists. No one likes pimples, blackheads, dark spots, and zits on their skin. Everybody wishes to have a healthy and naturally glowing skin. To get a healthy skin, the first thing to do is to eat the right food and drink lots of water.
Here are 11 steps following which you are bound to get healthy, glowing skin that can make heads turn:
1. Figure out your skin type
The first step to get a perfect skin is to figure out a skin care routine. Everybody has its own skin type. What works for someone else may not work for you.
- Normal skin: If you have normal skin then you are very lucky. Your skin tone will look even and you may not have any skin issue
- Sensitive skin: This skin type is very reactive and it may become dry, itchy or oily depending on your lifestyle, the products used and weather conditions
- Dry skin: This skin type suffers from roughness and feels tight after cleansing. It gets rough whenever it is exposed to cold weather and dust
- Combination skin: It can be dry or oily depending on various factors. It might be rough around the edges and oily at the T-zone
- Oily skin: This skin type can become greasy and shiny within an hour after washing the face. It is prone to pimples
2. Wash your face twice a day
Washing your face twice a day regularly cleans away dirt, bacteria, oil and traces of makeup. Many people think if they wash more number of times, their skin will become better. But that's a mistake. Over washing is worse than not washing your face at all. It can make your skin drier and damage it. Wash your face only two times a day-- once in the morning, and once in the evening after returning from work or before going to bed.
Use a cleanser that suites your skin type. Choose simple products for your skin and avoid using a cleanser that is scented and full of chemicals. Use warm water to clean your skin. Don't go for hot water as it can be too harsh and may dry out your skin. Warm water will open the skin pores. Use your fingers to apply cleanser in circular motion. Now rinse your face with cold water which closes the pores and then allow it to dry naturally.
3. Use toner after cleansing
Toning your skin with a good toner has many benefits. This is very important skin care tip that many women avoid. Benefits of using a toner are:
- Toner helps in removing the dirt and dead skin cells that your cleanser leaves behind. It maintains the pH balance of skin and leaves it slightly damp so that it can absorb products like moisturizers and sunscreens better
- Toners are very easy to use and most of them come in liquid form. Simply squirt a little toner on a cotton pad and swipe it gently over your face and neck
- Toners contain certain active ingredients that benefit the skin. They contain alpha and beta hydroxyl acids which help in exfoliation. People with dry skin should prefer toners containing vitamin E and aloevera, and avoid alcohol based toners
4. Use moisturizer twice a day
Moisturizing is one of the most important steps in your skin care routine. They hydrate the skin by holding water in the outermost layer and thus protect your skin. You must choose a moisturizer according to your skin type to improve your skin tone and texture:
- People with normal skin must go for water-based moisturizer
- Those who have dry skin must choose heavier moisturizer for deep hydration
- Sensitive skin requires a simple moisturizer that won't irritate the skin. They should avoid colored and scented products
- Oily skinned people should go for water-based formulas
5. Exfoliate regularly
Regular exfoliation removes dead skin cells and leaves your skin glowing and smooth. It is important to exfoliate your skin at least once a week. You can choose natural products at home to get better results. Mix brown sugar, olive oil, baking soda and water or any other homemade ingredients to create a homemade scrub for natural skin care. However, if you exfoliate everyday, you will end up with dry, irritated skin.
6. Always remove your make-up before sleep:
Remove your makeup every single night. If makeup is left overnight, it can clog the pores. This will open the doors for blackheads, breakouts and excess oil. Skin cell regenration takes place mostly in the dead of the night. Full cleansing, toning and moisturizing routine should be followed regularly for best skin care.
7. Eat healthy
Make sure you follow a healthy diet enriched with all vitamins and minerals that your skin needs:
- Vitamin B is essential for skin, hair and nails. Oatmeal, eggs, bananas and vegemite are good sources of Vitamin B
- Vitamin C and Vitamin E protects the skin against sun exposure and keeps it away from cancer. Lemon, lime, oranges, grapes and green leafy vegetables are rich in Vitamin C. Olives, spinach and nuts contain Vitamin E
- Vitamin A is essential for repairing skin tissues and Vitamin K reduces dark circles under the eyes
8. Stay hydrated
Drinking water is essential for naturally glowing and healthy skin. Your skin may become dehydrated if you don't drink enough water.
- Drinking water will help eliminate harmful toxins from the body
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables which are rich in water content
- Drink coconut water and green tea
- You must drink 6 to 8 glasses every day
9. Get enough sleep
Sleep is essential for healthy skin. As you sleep well, your skin repairs and renews it. You should sleep for a minimum of 7 to 8 hours daily. If you don't get enough sleep, your skin may become dull and sagging.
Exercise not only keeps you in shape but also helps in maintaining natural glow of the skin. It improves blood flow to the skin thus bringing a glow and making it healthier.
11. Avoid stress:
Stress is very bad for anyone and their skin types. It contributes to redness, sensitivity, breakouts and wrinkles. Reducing stress levels helps improve the quality of your skin. Spend some time in yoga classes and meditate daily to completely eliminate stress.
Follow these natural skin care steps and nothing can stop you from healthy, glowing skin.