Here is a look at some great tips to smoothen your pregnancy. Pregnancy is the most exciting and beautiful phase of a woman's life. During this period, she needs to take utmost care of her overall health and the unborn baby in the womb. Over the period of 09 months, a pregnant woman needs to plan out everything. The realization of new life inside her gives a sense of love and fulfillment. Pregnancy care is an important aspect of a woman's healthcare and apart from medical check-ups; adhering to the below simple pregnancy care tips will make your pregnancy safer and easier.
Prenatal Care: Prenatal care is very important to make sure you and your baby are healthy. During your first visit to doctor, he will talk about your medical history and how you have been feeling. Urine and blood tests will be done during your first visit to check for bacteria, sugar levels, blood pressure levels, low iron levels, blood counts and other risks. Sometimes an ultrasound can also be conducted to figure out the baby's growth. After your first visit, you will have a prenatal visit every 4 weeks up to 7th month, then every 2 weeks until you deliver the baby.
Weight Gain: Talk to your doctor about how much weight should be gained during pregnancy. Some women gain about 25 to 30 pounds. If you are overweight, you need to gain less and if you are underweight then you need to gain more.
Eat a Balanced Diet: Eating a healthy and balanced diet is very important during pregnancy. You should be careful about eating certain foods while you are pregnant. Here are some eating tips on pregnancy that you should follow.
- Meat, fish and eggs that are not fully cooked may put you on the risk of infections. Do not take more than 2 or 3 servings of fish per week as they have high level of mercury that can hurt baby
- Wash all fruits and vegetables before eating
- Eat 4 or 5 servings of dairy foods every day. This will give you enough calcium to maintain health
- Do not take more than 2 servings of tea or coffee
Vitamin Supplements: You should take Folic Acid supplements everyday during pregnancy as it can help prevent the problems of baby's spinal cord and brain. Your doctor might give you prenatal vitamins but before taking this supplement, make sure you are not taking any other mineral or vitamin supplements along with it.
Exercise: Exercising is one of the best pregnancy tips that can help ease the discomforts during pregnancy. Regular exercises have special benefits. Try to do 30 minutes of exercise everyday and talk to your doctor about some special conditions. Exercising during pregnancy makes labor and delivery easier. Walking is one of the great choices during pregnancy. Don't overdo any exercise and listen to your body. Call your doctor immediately if you have any kind of chest pain, blurred vision or abdominal pain while exercising. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Avoid rock climbing, water skiing, basket ball, soccer etc during pregnancy.
Sex: It's ok to have sex during pregnancy unless your doctor believes you are at any risk.
Smoking and Drinking Alcohol: Alcohol and smoking causes irreversible birth defects. It may cause miscarriage, low birth weight, respiratory diseases and growth retardation. These substances are harmful to you and your unborn baby.
Get Adequate Sleep: A pregnant woman needs 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. If you are suffering from any sleeping disorders, see your physician for advice. During sleep, your body repairs itself.
Get Plenty of Rest: Listen to your body if you need some rest and breaks during the day. Get plenty of rest to avoid any discomfort.
Stress: Avoid stress as much as possible. It's not good for you and your baby's health. Indulge yourself in meditation for calming effects and practice sitting silent for sometime in a day.
Discomforts of pregnancy and tips for handling them
- Morning Sickness: Nausea or Vomiting can strike at anytime during the day or night. To avoid it, take small meals and keep crackers by your bed to eat before getting up early in morning. Avoid greasy foods as much as possible
- Talk to your doctor if morning sickness persists past 3 months of pregnancy or causing any weight loss
- Tiredness: Get enough rest to get rid of tiredness. Sometimes it is caused due to anemia, so ask your doctor for any medications
- Constipation: Drinking plenty of fluids is one of the best tips for pregnancy. To avoid constipation during pregnancy, eat fiber rich foods, fruits and vegetables. Don't take any medicine without prescription of your doctor during pregnancy
- Moodiness: Your hormones during pregnancy are on a roller-costar ride that may cause mood swings plus your life undergoes various changes. Don't be so hard to yourself. If you are feeling sad, move outside for a movie or meet your friends to change your mood
- Heartburn: This is one of the most common causes of pregnancy. To avoid this, eat frequent and small meals. Avoid spicy and greasy food
- Yeast Infections: During pregnancy, vaginal discharges increase. Talk to your doctor if you have unusual discharge from vagina as it may lead to yeast infections
- Skin Changes and Stretch Marks: Stretch marks as red marks may appear on your skin during pregnancy. It may also cause itching. Lotion with Shea-butter can help moistening the skin. Stretch marks can't be avoided during pregnancy, but they often fade away after pregnancy
- Other skin changes during pregnancy may involve darkening of skin on face, a dark line below the belly button and darkening of nipples. Most of these skin problems fade after pregnancy
Call your doctor immediately if you have:
- Bloody discharge from vagina
- Sudden or extreme swelling on face, fingers or foot
- Nausea or vomiting that won't go away
- Chills or fever
- Pain or cramps in lower abdomen
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Change in baby's movements
- Any kind of illness that bothers you
Follow these guidelines and pregnancy care tips and stay in touch with your doctor regularly to avoid any discomforts or problems during pregnancy. Keep calm and enjoy the wonderful period of pregnancy. Follow a healthy lifestyle and be careful.