Changing eating habits and adopting a healthy diet regime will help you get healthy body and mind. Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly to stay healthy and control weight. Balanced diet is always effective when combined with other healthy changes in lifestyle. Here are some healthy diet tips that will help you change your eating habits and achieve your weight loss goals.
Choosing a healthy diet
1. Consume carbohydrates: Sugar and white flour are simple carbs that are quickly absorbed by our digestive system. Our body releases insulin to combat the overload caused by these simple carbs. Eat plenty of whole grain flour, raw vegetables, oats and brown rice. These foods are rich in nutrients and fiber which are beneficial for our body.
- Eat leafy vegetables like collard greens, kale and Swiss chard. These are rich in nutrients. Saute these vegetables simply by using olive oil, garlic, pepper and a little salt, which will make your meal tasty as well as nutritious.
- It is hard for the body to draw nutrients from processed carbohydrates. Choose Brown Bread instead of white bread and go for whole wheat pasta instead of normal one. Oatmeal is also a healthier choice.
2. Know the difference between good and bad fat: Fats are essential for optimal functioning of our body parts. Choosing the right kind of fats is very important.
- One should consume mono-saturated fats and omega 3 fatty acids regularly. These help in lowering bad cholesterol levels in the body and raise good cholesterol levels. Olive oils, nuts, fish and seed oils are high in fatty acids. Adding these fats to your diet regularly help reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Avoid saturated fats and Trans fats as these raise the risk of heart problems. These fats are commonly found in processed foods. You should read the labels and details of ingredients of processed foods that you eat.
3. Add Super Foods to your diet: Super foods have the ability to fight heart diseases, maintain cholesterol levels and boost your mood. Adding super foods to your diet is one of the best diet tips that you can choose. Here is the list of some super foods:
- Blueberries: Blueberries are good for the health of your brain. Raspberries and cranberries can also be consumed if blueberries are not available.
- Salmon: It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. It helps maintain blood pressure, health of heart and functioning of the brain.
- Cranberries: These red berries are rich in Quercetrin- a natural antioxidant. They are low in sugar and rich in Vitamin C that helps in the repair and growth of body tissue.
4. Watch your salt intake: Salt is essential for our body but too much of it will lead to high blood pressure and other health problems.
5. Practice moderations: Don't over-consume any one type of food; instead vary your diet so that you can get everything in a moderate amount. Some people give up sugar, meat, alcohol and other foods instantly which is not right. For example, if you want to cut sugar from your diet, eat some dessert every week, don't give it up abruptly.
Make Healthy Decisions
Choosing the below healthy diet tips will help improve your health:
1. Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated is good for your overall health. It makes your stomach feel full and helps in losing weight. If you are feeling hungry, try drinking a full glass of water first. It will cut down your hunger immediately. Drinking water before meal is one of the best weight loss diet tips that one should follow.
2. Avoid sugary drinks: Giving up sugary drinks is one of the easiest ways to improve your diet plan. These include juices, sports and energy drinks, soft drinks and other drinks containing artificial sweeteners.
3. Stay away from fast food: Fast food is bad for our health. It is often processed, fried and contains excessive salt. So stay away from fast food to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
4. Reduce your alcohol intake: Excessive alcohol consumption leads to many health problems. It also makes you gain extra weight.
Following these health tips for weight loss will help you achieve your goals. Combining diet tips with other lifestyle changes will help you maintain your health. Define your goals for weight loss and adopt diets and eating habits suggested by dieticians for best results.
Change Your Mindset
1. Adopt a healthy attitude: Firstly take a look on your eating habits. Ponder if you have craving for unhealthy food when you feel stressed. Make a healthier replacement if you are stressed and want to eat some food, instead go for a walk, call a friend or take a long bath. Mental illness causes eating disorders and if you suspect this disorder, consult your doctor immediately.
2. Determine your daily calorie intake: This number may vary from person-to-person, depending on their metabolic cycle. If you are kind of a person who gains weight just by smelling of pizza, then your calorie intake should stay around 2000 calories for men and 1500 for women.
3. Don't skip breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast accelerates the metabolic process and keeps it active throughout the morning. A small breakfast is better than no breakfast. Avoid skipping breakfast, go for some water, granola bars, butter toast and some fresh juice.
4. Eat slowly: Chew each bite thoroughly and drink a full glass of water throughout your meal. Put your spoon down between each bite as it's a physical reminder to finish food in mouth.
5. Eat five times a day: Have three meals a day (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) with two snacks in between. It will keep your blood sugar level in control throughout the day and also allow you to eat less during the meals.
Combining regular exercise with healthy diet tips to lose weight will help you keep your health for long term. Research on different diet plans and choose the one that works best for you.