We exercise to improve our fitness, gain more energy and muscle mass, better sleep, reduce anxiety, stress and depression etc. Physical activity plays an important role in maintaining sound health and general well-being of an individual. Detailed exercise instructions and workout plans are required to start a fitness routine. But if merely knowing how and why to exercise was enough, all of us would have been in shape. Making exercise a habit takes a right mindset and smart approach. Follow these steps to make exercise less painful and more fun.
Break your mental barrier that's keeping you away from exercising:
If you are having trouble beginning fitness exercise plan, you are not alone. Busy schedule and poor health can make your exercising routine more challenging. But for many of us, the biggest barriers are mental. Below two mental shifts will help you break through these mental barriers.
1. Ditch the all-or-nothing attitude: You don't have to spend hours in gym or force yourself to painful exercises. A little physical fitness exercise is better than nothing. Add some physical activities to your weekly routine to improve your mental and emotional health
2. Check your expectations: Expecting too much from yourself may lead to frustration. You can't get in shape overnight and you can't instantly transform your body. Try not to be discouraged by what you can't do to reach your fitness goals. Focus on consistency and it will improve your mood and energy levels.
- Amount of exercise required: There is no need to overdo exercises. Research has proved that mild to moderate physical activity is enough for positive results. You don't have to overheat your body. There are some safety tips for beginners also that need to be kept in mind while starting physical fitness exercises routine. These are discussed below in brief
2. Warm-up: Warm-up your body with dynamic stretching to warm and flex your body muscles. Start with a slower and easier version of exercising. Like if you are going to run, start with walking and begin running after few days of regular walking.
3. Cool down: Like warming up, it is important to cool down the body and allow your heart rate to return to rest state. Some gentle stretches may help you prevent any injuries after work-out.
4. Drink plenty of water: Staying hydrated is good for sound health. Failing to drink enough water could have wider implications to your health.
5. Listen to your body: If you feel pain or discomfort while exercising, stop immediately. If you feel better after a while then you can slowly resume your workout.
How to make exercising a fun?Choose the activities that make you feel happy: If your workout is unpleasant and painful, you will not stick to it for long. Don't choose activities like lifting weights or running on treadmill at the gym just because you think it's required. Instead pick activities like dancing that fit your lifestyle and capabilities.
- Start with small momentum: A goal of exercising 30 minutes a day and 5 times a week sounds good but how likely are you to follow? The more ambitious is your goal, the more likely are you to give up. So it's better to start with easy physical fitness exercise goals that you know you can achieve easily
- Reward yourself: When you successfully complete a work-out, immediately reward yourself. Rewards are most effective to make your physical exercise a fun
- Utilize your surroundings
1. Cardio work-out at home: Running is the best cardio exercise and you don't need a stairmaster when you have stairs at home. Walk or run up and down the stairs. Do several sets of jumping jacks or jump rope in a large room.
2. Include strength training: Walls, floors and furniture are great for strengthening exercises. Use your floor for push-ups, planks and squats. If you don't have much space, use wall for standing push-ups and squats.
3. Practice yoga: Yoga is one of the best home fitness exercises that only require a mat. Yoga is great for minor cardio and to relax your body and mind. Sun salutations, chair pose and downward dog positions are best yoga practices that you can add to your daily routine.
4. Try exercise DVDs: If you are not familiar with health and fitness exercises at home, you can purchase an exercise DVD containing videos of exercise and yoga postures to become familiar with them.
If you have started workout and want to improve your fitness, follow the below steps:
- Do your research: If you seriously want to improve fitness, then you have to research to find out what exercises are required for which part of the body. This will also help you set an exercise routine and improve your fitness
- Follow a routine: Organise a routine for yourself. You can also consult a fitness expert to set a plan. Once you made a routine, follow it properly. For example, you may have push-ups and stomach exercises on Monday, cardio workout on Tuesday, rest on Wednesday, all muscle exercises on Thursday, cardio on Friday and rest on Saturday
- Eat a healthy diet: Your calorie intake is going to improve your fitness directly. Physical fitness exercises without food will hold on to bad fats. Make some changes to your eating habits and lifestyle to maintain fitness. Cut down on salt and sugary beverages. East green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. Have proteins and protein supplements daily in your diet
- Circuit training: To improve and maintain fitness, do various types of health and fitness exercises. Try to do circuit training for different parts of the body in rotation