"Oh no! have I started ageing now? But I'm so young to have it!" Do you feel the same way when you see those grey hair? Grey hair is among the most dreaded nightmares that women have. You may disagree, but no one really gives grey hair much thought until they find one of their own. That's when you that the feel like the world is ageing and almost everything is changing. We, as human beings, do not like sudden changes.
While some make peace with it and gracefully accept the transition into silver vixens, others like to take out time before they make the transition. Following are some natural home remedies for grey hair:
1. HennaNeed - 2 tsps. Black Tea Leaves, 4 tbsp. Pure Henna Powder, 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice, 1 tbsp. Amla Powder, An Applicator Brush, Gloves, Conditioner.
Time consumed - 1 hour
Process - Soak henna powder in a cup of water and let it soak for 8 hours. Leave henna to soak overnight. In the morning, boil the black tea leaves in water and let it steep for a couple of minutes. Set it aside to cool. Once the tea has cooled, pour it into the henna paste. Add lemon juice and amla powder to this mixture and stir until you get a smooth, consistent paste. Put your gloves on and apply the mixture onto your hair using the applicator brush. Make sure that you cover all the grey parts. Leave it in for an hour or until the paste dries up. Rinse the hair pack out with a mild sulphate-free shampoo.
This can be done once a month. Henna is a natural dye that also possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties. Not only does it darken your hair, but it also restores the pH balance of the scalp and normalizes oil production.
2. Black TeaNeed - 2 tsps. Black Tea Leaves, 1 cup Water
Time consumed - 1 hour
Process - put black tea in a cup of water and let it steep for a couple of minutes. Set the solution aside to cool. Once the tea has cooled, apply it to your hair and leave it in for an hour. Rinse your hair under cool running water. Do not shampoo. Repeat this once in two weeks.
Black tea stains your hair, darkening it. It also adds shine to your hair, making it an excellent remedy for reviving dull, lifeless hair.
3. Coconut oil and lemon home remedyNeed - 2 tbsps. Coconut Oil and 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
Time consumed - 30 minutes
Process - Combine the given ingredients in a bowl and start applying it to your hair. Massage the mixture into your scalp and work it down to the tips of your hair. Once all of your hair is covered, leave it in for 30 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild sulphate-free shampoo. Repeat this process twice a week.
While coconut oil and lemon juice do not reverse greying, it delays it by preserving the pigment cells in your hair follicles.
4. Curry LeavesNeed - 3 tbsps. Coconut Oil and Handful of Curry Leaves
Time consumed - 1 hour
Process - Heat the curry leaves and coconut oil in a saucepan until you see a black residue forming. Set the oil aside to cool. Once the oil has cooled, massage it into your scalp and work it through the length of your hair. Once all of your hair is covered, leave the oil in for an hour. Wash off with a mild sulphate-free shampoo.
Repeat 2-3 times a week. Curry leaves have the ability to restore the melanin in your hair follicles which help tackle greying. It also boosts hair growth by improving scalp health.
5. Ribbed GourdNeed - 1 cup Coconut Oil and 1 cup Chopped Ribbed Gourd
Time consumed - 45 minutes.
Process - Sun dry the chopped ribbed gourd until it is completely dehydrated. Soak the pieces in a cup of coconut oil for three days. At the end of the third day, boil the pieces in the oil for 5-6 minutes. Let the mixture cool. Strain out and collect the oil in a jar. Take about 2 tablespoons of the oil (depending on the length of your hair) and start massaging it into your scalp. Work it into your hair until it's covered from root to tip. Leave the oil in for 45 minutes and then wash it out with a mild sulphate-free shampoo.
Repeat 2-3 times a week. The Ribbed gourd is another vegetable that is known for its ability to restore the pigment cells in your hair follicles.
6. Black CoffeeNeed - 1 Strongly Brewed Pot Of Coffee
Time consumed - 20 minutes
Process - Brew a strong pot of coffee and then set it aside to cool. Once it has cooled, pour the coffee through your hair while massaging it in. Once you've poured all the coffee through your hair, let your hair saturate in it for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair under running water. Do not shampoo at all.
Repeat this twice a week. Coffee is not a permanent solution for grey hair. However, with regular use, it can stain your hair to a dark brown colour and mask all of your greys.
Basic tips to cover grey hair:-
- Have vitamin-rich food: A balanced diet is essential for maintaining healthy hair for longer. Not getting the right nourishment is one of the leading causes of premature greying.
- Stay hydrated: Consuming a lot of water helps flush toxins out of the body while keeping your hair conditioned and healthy.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is one of the leading causes of premature greying. Quitting this habit will help in preventing the greying process.
- Eat oats. Oatmeal is a great source of biotin which is an essential vitamin your body needs to keep the hair healthy.
- Dye your hair: While it is recommended to use a natural remedy, you may resort to dyeing your hair while in a pinch.