A healthy lifestyle means healthy body, mind and healthy hair too. Maintaining healthy hair is easy provided one follows the advice of experts and the tips provided here that are easy to follow. Our hair deserves proper care just like as we do for our skin. Keeping a good diet and hygiene plays an important role in maintaining hair's health.
Here are some basic hair care tips and what you can do at home to get beautiful and healthy hair.1. Wash hair carefully and use a mild shampoo: Washing hair too often may damage and leave them dry. Aim to shampoo only twice a week or at almost every other day. Excess washing can leach the natural oils. Try to use cold water to wash your hair.
2. Try shampoos that do not contain sulphates or parabens: These chemicals may cause irritation and eye problems after prolonged use. Both of them are not healthy for your hair, so try to use shampoo with natural cleansers. Choose a shampoo according to your hair type. Don't just go with any old shampoo; try a newer one that works for your hair.
- Curly hair: Curly or coarse hair requires softening and frizz-minimizing shampoos
- Straight or oily hair: Gentle shampoo is good for this hair type for daily washing
- Coloured or treated hair: This hair type needs a shampoo that's fortified with amino acids and extracts
- Dry hair: Dry hair needs a shampoo with collagen and glycerin to restore moisture.
3. Use Conditioner matching your hair-type: Conditioning your hair after the shampoo is a good hair care tip, although treated and dyed hair requires extra care than natural hair. Deep conditioning should be done every week. Try any homemade solution to deep condition hair and keep them healthy, soft and moisturized.
- For fine hair: Try a botanical oil treatment if you have very limp hair before shampoo. Work it under your cuticles before shampooing. Leave it for some time and then wash away with shampoo. Apply conditioner from mid-shaft down to the ends. This is one of the best hair care tips to get smoother hair
- For medium to thick hair: Use a moisturizer with natural hydration. Use a light conditioner all over your head and leave it for 2-3 minutes.
5. Rinse hair with Vinegar before shampoo in every 6 month: This will make hair look shinier and cleaner. It also treats dandruff problems. Use one part of vinegar with 3 parts of warm water, then rinse it off and wash normally. Follow this hair care routine regularly for best results.
6. Moisturize regularly: Use almond, olive, coconut oil, castor and lavender oil regularly on hair. Mix together equal proportions of each. Apply on hair and leave for 3 to 4 hours before washing. Repeat the procedure twice a week regularly. Moisturizing is one of the best hair care tips to make the hair look beautiful and healthy.
Drying hair care tips:
Let the hair dry naturally: After washing the hair, wrap them in a cotton towel. Avoid brushing on wet hair, as it may make the hair brittle and weak. Always use a comb with a wide tooth to brush out tangled hair while they are wet.
- Don't use the hair dryer for drying out. Natural hair may not respond well to heat and result in hair damage. If it is necessary to use hair dryer, use it at lowest temperature setting and limit the usage occasionally
- Still confused about how to hair care? Put your hair in bun and let them dry overnight if you shower before sleeping.
Brushing the hair - Best hair care tips:
- Don't brush too much: Brushing too often may cause damage to your hair resulting in split ends and frizz. Normal brushing stimulates follicles and promotes hair growth
- Try a wide toothed comb after showering: Always use a wide toothed comb after shampoo or use your fingers instead.
How to hair care using natural ingredients?
How to hair care naturally: Use home-made hair masks for speedy hair growth and hair care.
- Use egg, curd and mustard oil hair mask
- Use avocado and peppermint oil mask
- Use olive oil, coconut oil and coconut hair mask
1. Trim hair regularly: Trimming is the best way to get rid of split-ends. Get them trimmed every 6-8 weeks to avoid hair damage and split ends problems.
2. Style naturally: Repeating style multiple times in a week may cause hair damage.
- Avoid straightening, curling, bleaching and crimping hair repeatedly. Make it an occasional treat, not a permanent thing
- Limit the use of hair dryer and hair spray for styling
- Try not to use hairstyles that need tight pins as it may damage follicles
- Try a simple ponytail or chignon style as they require fewer hair products
- Don't use tight rubber bands to style hair. This may encourage your hair to get snagged and rip out of the follicles.
3. Dye hairs carefully: Dyeing and treating hair may leave them damaged. If you do dye hair then take a break after few days from dyeing to provide them little breathe.
Maintenance tips for basic hair care
1. Eat healthy: Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet as it will ensure hair that looks better. Give your hair right amount of vitamins. Eating healthy is the best hair care for all types of hair.
- Make sure you eat plenty of Vitamin C which strengthens hair
- Eat iron-rich foods to transport oxygen to blood vessels and Zinc to grow and repair hair tissues. Omega-3 fatty acids are also essential for the growth of hair. Add green leafy vegetables, lean meat, eggs, fish, beans, chickpea and soya bean to your daily diet
- What you eat will not immediately affect your hair but it will help the hair with new growth. Give hair sometime to show brilliance after healthy eating. This basic hair care tip will help you retain long hair for longer.
2. Remove stress from your life: Physical and mental stress can cause hair loss problems. Find healthy solutions to remove stress from your life. Try yoga, biking, meditation and other exercise forms.