Long and shiny hair is every woman's dream. Dandruff is a very common hair problem that can spoil your beautiful locks. It is the harbinger of other hair problems like hair fall, itchy scalp, dryness and so on. Hence, we need to win the battle against the devil called dandruff and get rid of it ASAP!
What is dandruff?
Dandruff is a white flaky residue shedding from the scalp. It is basically the dead cells. There are two types of dandruff:
1. Dry dandruff caused by a dry scalp
2. Oily dandruff caused by excessive oil in the scalp
Dandruff can be caused due to several reasons like sensitivity to certain products, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis or eczema. Fungal infections are the main culprit. You must make an effort to get rid of dandruff the moment you notice it. It should not be allowed to aggravate.
How to get rid of dandruff?
1. Wash it off with Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or white vinegar
Our skin matures and sheds off as dead skin. The build-up clogs our pores, causing irritation. Our scalp has to be cleaned daily. Vinegar gets rid of unwanted flakes and it is also a natural fungicide.
Add 1/2 cup of warm water to 1/2 a cup ACV. Make a mixture in this ratio according to the length of your hair. Pour the mixture on your hair and scrub it for a while. Then, rinse it off with plain water only. Take a normal shower after 8-12 hours. So, if you don't have time, be ready to smell like vinegar!
It's best to keep this process for the weekend when you don't have to go to work. Repeat once a week or two weeks if needed.
2. Lemons are the best weapons to tackle dandruff
The acidity of lemons clean the stubborn flakes effectively! It can be used in several ways:
1. Squeeze 2 tablespoons (tbsp) of lemon, add double the amount of water to it and apply it on the scalp. Take another spoon of lemon juice diluted with water and apply to the tresses. Then rinse your hair clean after few minutes.
2. Add 1 tbsp of lemon to 5 tbsp of coconut oil. Massage it on to your scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes. For better results, you can follow it with turban therapy. Dip a towel in warm water, squeeze out excess water, and tie it aroundyour head as a turban. Then, wash it off with a mild shampoo for smooth and clean hair.
3. Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice to 5 tbsp of honey and add water to it. Wash your hair with this natural cleanser and get clean, silky and shiny hair.
3. Use fresh aloe vera gel on your scalp
Aloe vera has natural cooling properties. It relaxes the scalp and provides nourishment, which is good in removing dry flaky dandruff. Aloe vera's antibacterial and antimicrobial properties heal all the bacterial and fungal infections of the scalp.
Direction: Apply the gel directly on the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
4. Tackle dandruff with baking soda
Baking soda is a good exfoliating agent. It mildly cleans the dead skin on the scalp. It acts as a fungicide, killing all the infectious build-ups.
Directions: Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water. Put it in an empty bottle and shake it nicely to mix. Wash your hair with this mixture. Initially, it will make your hair dry but the scalp will gradually restore its natural oil. It is good for oily dandruff. You can add a few drops of rosemary oil to the mixture if you like.
5. Lifestyle changes to get rid of dandruff
Eat healthy: Green vegetables, fish oils and lean proteins should be included in your diet.
Physical and mental health: It is important to deal a healthy life. At times, dandruff is caused due to stress. One can do some exercise daily. Meditation is a good option to deal with stress.
Cleanliness: Clean your combs and hair brushes daily. Change your pillow case frequently.
Sunlight: Exposure to sunlight for a little while will keep your scalp free of excessive moisture and bacterial growth.
Brush hair and massage scalp: Hair care regimen should include daily, proper brushing and head massages to help in getting rid of dandruff.
Take some time out from your busy schedule and look after your tresses. Follow the above preventive measures as well as treatments to have a squeaky clean scalp. Say goodbye to ugly flaky dandruff forever and hello to beautiful hair!